Twitter / Bauvy

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday at The Cafe

     I did my drawing.  A nice man who I see all the time brought me a new drawing board, one that rests directly on the table, but it has fold-out legs so it can be tilted.  These drawing boards cost $40-$60 brand new at least.  Score.
     My drawing was different than the one I did yesterday.  I was late in getting to the cafe this morning.  It wasn't the same energy today.  David Bowie music was playing, so I felt pretty creative.






     When I start a drawing in the cafe, it can go in any number of directions.  I was thinking I'd do a big comic book page, but it kind of turned into a hybrid.  I wasn't feeling it today, didn't know what to do.
     I've been thinking about the two-dimensional aspects of drawing, and why it is okay to take sometimes excessive liberties.  It is because a drawing isn't real.  It's all an illusion, so you might as well have some fun with it, otherwise, what is the point?  If you want realism, take a picture.  I take a lot of pictures, and when I look back through them later, the thing I was trying to take a picture of is gone.  The camera rarely gets the light the same way the human eyes see, without a lot of fidgeting with the camera settings, and sometimes you have to take the picture before the moment is gone...no time to adjust.
     Whether it is photography or art, it is always a compromise.
     With a line drawing, there is only one correct line.
     To put drawings and photos into windows movie maker turns still images into a time-based medium.
    
     I've been very happy drawing at the cafe the last couple of days.  My drawing board sits on my easel at around a 60 degree angle, at the right height which allows my arm fluid movement.

     Art is marginalized in The United States of America.  For example, there isn't even a category for 'art' on youtube.  There is one for sports, entertainment, etc. but no art, so I usually just put my art videos under entertainment.
 
     Game 3 of The World Series is today, and I hope the Giants stick it to them.  Realistically, I hope they get at least one of the next two games. 

     I'm just going to take it easy today, and make some art, and try to figure out what to do with my studio.  What I will do for an income now that baseball season is over, I have no idea.

     I like to make different kinds of things every day, so it is hard for me to concentrate on just one kind of art.  Some days I wake up and I just want to draw.  Other days I want to paint.  Other days, I want to play games, and sometimes I just want to make comic books.
     I really have to start getting my shit together, though.  Adsense isn't going to pay any bills.  The comic book industry is kind of flat.  People don't have much spending money to buy drawings.

     My whole career is based on this romantic idea of being an artist, so I have to pull my head out of my ass, and figure out how to make an actual living doing something tangible.

     There's a scary thought for Halloween. 

No comments:

Post a Comment